Tuesday 23 March 2010

When the lights go on again.


For several years this image has been a comfort to my wearied old bones. I like to have it where I can see it. I suppose I find personal allegory in this image. There's been a war in my life, the books won't betray me, best to stay clear of Quisling Street. I can't help but wonder precisely when this image was produced, I imagine sometime between 1940 and 1945. Through the window are Blitz ruins, if the Blitz were still on at the time the book token was produced then the image is rather optimistic because the blackout would have been in force. The bookshelves look as though they are CC41 or Utility (Government-controlled production) which would date the image to no earlier than September 1941. On the reverse the image is repeated in the form of a gummed 'book plate' intended for insertion into the eventual book purchase.

1 comment:

  1. These are absolutely wonderful and the narrative is as insightful as it is delightful.

    I also love A Book Token.

    Thank you for sharing it would be a rare treat to see more

    ReplyDelete